Store Those Dailies DAILY?!
Imagine you have finished your day of shooting, should you store and organize your footage right away?
Almost everything of the process of filmmaking is up to the person doing the job really,
Let’s not be fools and analyze if this is a good habit or not.
- Time spent after an intense day of shooting when what you really want is seat in your couch and chill.
- Work remembering which videos were from which scene and storing them in named folders, by sequeneces or scenes, or both.
- u00a0Time saved. When you start the editing process you won’t have to go over an infinite pile of videos, hours of work to find out that most of them are of no use. You will be able to find any particular sequence only by knowing which scenes they include, which you know because you have properly made your shooting script.u00a0
- You can edit easily any given scene so you know what has to be reshooted and what scenes work or not. If they do not, if you edit them by chunks you can really test if they work or not by themselves and what does that story unit mean.
- u00a0You can edit during production more easily when you have some time to spare. By organizing every day your footage, you can easily one given day that you have an hour to spare edit a particular scene and get ahead faster. If you do this frequently you will have a more clear vision of what is the rythm of the edit, what you want to show or not to show and in the end what you want to tell with this scene.
- By editing by scenes you can afterwards join more easily two or more scenes together to make a sequence. Because you have thought about each scene individually and you have reached to a conclusion on what you want to tell with each scene, it is easier to blend those two principal ideas together than follow a lead that maybe won’t work with what you subconsciously thought the next scene was all about.
This is why I edit at the same time I film, but then again, this is my personal take on the process. Each person should test themselves and see if an immersive editing sesion without knowing where to go is better than an organized process that takes a lot of thought and hours. Or the other way around. So test yourselves with editing but certainly organize your videos every day after shooting because a simple habit can go a LONG way…